Sexual Problems and Solutions
WHAT IS SEXUAL DYSFUNCTION?
Sexual satisfaction is of special importance in an adult life which helps in gaining pleasure as well as enhances the chances of progeny. It also helps the partners to connect at an emotional level.
However, in some circumstances, sexual satisfaction is not achieved due to physical or psychological problems.
This condition, of not attaining sexual satisfaction, is known as sexual dysfunction. Although sexual dysfunction can be found in men of all the ages, generally the risk of developing this condition increases with age due to hormonal alterations or any underlying disease.
WHAT ARE THE TYPES OF MALE SEXUAL DYSFUNCTION?
Following are the types of male sexual dysfunction:
1) Low libido:
This is a type of desire disorder when the person losses his interest in sexual activity.
This may be due to both physical and emotional causes. The physical causes include diseases such as diabetes or cardiovascular disease while emotional problems comprise disliking the female partner, fear of sexual performance, anxiety and feeling uncomfortable.
2) Erectile dysfunction:
This is the most common type of sexual dysfunction and is classified under the category of arousal disorders.
Unlike low libido where the person does not want to indulge in sexual activity, a patient suffering from erectile dysfunction is interested in sexual activity but fails to achieve and maintain penile erection.
The penis of the patient is soft enough and is not able to penetrate the vagina. This leads to sexual dissatisfaction to both the partners.
Erectile dysfunction, apart from embarrassment and sexual dissatisfaction, may also lead to male infertility.
3) Ejaculation problems:
Ejaculation problems found their place in the category of orgasm disorders.
During the orgasm, the patient may either suffer from Premature ejaculation, delayed ejaculation or inhibited ejaculation. Any of the above problems leads to a low level of sexual dissatisfaction.
4) Pain disorders:
Pain during sexual intercourse is also sexual dysfunction. Pain in the male during sexual intercourse may be due to Genital herpes, urinary tract infections, prostatitis, and physical trauma to genital parts.
WHAT ARE THE CAUSES OF SEXUAL DYSFUNCTION ?
Sexual dysfunction can be caused due to both physical as well as psychological factors.
1) Diabetes: Poorly controlled diabetes results in the damage of nerves and blood vessels which may hamper the penile erection.
2) Low testosterone levels: Low level of testosterone causes low sex drive, loss of libido and erectile dysfunction.
3) Cardiovascular disorders: High blood pressure and atherosclerosis (hardening of the blood vessels) alters the level of blood flow in the penile regions leading to erectile dysfunction.
4) Medications: Certain medications such as antidepressants, anti-cancer drugs, decongestants, naproxen, indomethacin, and muscle relaxant causes erectile dysfunction.
5) Neuromuscular disease: Neuromuscular conditions such as myotonic muscular dystrophy and Parkinson’s disease may cause sexual dysfunction.
6) Genetic conditions: Sexual dysfunction may also be caused due to congenital condition (conditions which are present at the time of birth). Kennedy’s disease is one such condition in which the testosterone is not transported normally within the cells.
7) Kidney failure: Approximately 80% of patients suffering from kidney failure have sexual dysfunction. It is due to various factors including alteration in the autonomic nervous system, anemia, and endothelial dysfunction.
Various psychological problems cause sexual dysfunction :
1) Sour relationships:
If both the partners are in the sour relationship or are not emotionally connected, there is a low or complete absence of libido.
2) Emotional problems:
If the patient suffers from anxiety, and depression, the risk of sexual dysfunction is significantly increased.
3) Negative sexual experience:
Patient suffering from a past history of sexual trauma such as unnatural sex or molestation have reduced interest and increased the feeling of guilt.
WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS OF SEXUAL DYSFUNCTION?
Various symptoms indicate the presence of sexual dysfunction.
However, the condition remains undiagnosed for months due to the fact that unlike other diseases, symptoms are not visible to others and the patient do not visit the sexologists due to embarrassment and social stigma.
Symptoms included low libido, unable to achieve or maintain a penile erection, pain during sexual intercourse, premature or delayed or inhibited ejaculation.
WHAT AYURVEDA HAS TO OFFER IN TREATING SEXUAL DYSFUNCTION?
Ayurveda deals with sexual dysfunction through a holistic approach by managing both body and mind.
Following are the approaches available in the old ayurvedic literature for treating sexual dysfunction:
1) Vajikarana therapy focuses on a healthy body as well as the mind. According to Ayurveda, managing psychological factors are equally important in attaining sexual satisfaction. This therapy helps to improve the strength and enhances the span of erection.
2) Various herbal preparations containing Ashwagandha, Shatavari, Gokshur, and Musli are available to improve sexual performance. (Please note : Do Not Self Medicate As It May Worsen Up Your Problems.)
3) Meditation should be routinely performed to take control of your mind and to remain stress-free.
4) Consumption of alcohol, drugs such as heroin and smoking should be avoided.
5) There should be a gap (optimally 2 days) between two intercourse to regain libido and strength.
6) Take good sleep to remain fresh and active.
7) Drink plenty of water to flush out toxins that may interfere in the sexual desire.
DIFFERENCE BETWEEN ALLOPATHY / MODERN MEDICINE AND AYURVEDA IN SEXUAL DYSFUNCTION :
Time and again ayurvedic has proven its efficacy in treating various disorders including sexual dysfunction and have better patient compliance as compared to Modern Medicine alias Allopathy.
Following are the advantages of using Ayurvedic mode of treatment for sexual dysfunction:
1) Ayurvedic medicine tries to find the root cause of the disease while allopathy provided management of the symptoms.
2) Ayurvedic medicines are devoid of side effects when taken as directed, while allopathy medications have several side effects such as blurred vision, hearing problems, headache and may even worsen the condition.
3) Ayurvedic medications provide holistic health to the patient, keeping a watch on both the physical and psychological factors, while allopathy is directed only to manage the physical factors.
4) Sexual dysfunction requires particular-point-of-time treatment. This is achieved more effectively through ayurvedic therapy as it can be taken for a long period without any side effects. Allopathy medicines for sexual dysfunction causes serious side effects when taken for a long time.
If you are having any sexual problem and looking for Best Sexologist in Delhi, or Best Sexologist in India , then you can consult Dr. Manu Rajput and Dr. Kanu Rajput at Sidri International Skin Hair & Sexology Clinic.